Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shop Talk

I cant begin to explain how my job has taken a turn for the worse. 10 years ago Hospitality had a high demand for employment. There was plenty of jobs, hours, benefits and money to be made. Now the economy and recession has affected business.
Companies aren't spending money at The 5-diamond resort called The American Club.

I work in banquets and we handle anything from weddings, christmas parties, Events like Beerfest or Food & Wine, Easter, Mother's day, and Thanksgiving buffets and any other banquet booked functions. I can honestly say business is not steady. We use to have 20-30 staff members on our team, and now we have 12. People are losing benefits and hours are hard to come by. Several of us resort to Unemployment which isn't always enough.

When business is busy we tend to struggle with long 12-13 hour days because the shortage of staff. But yet we are not allowed to hire more staff because we are not in high season. So, we can have a busy week with lots of hours and then the next week with less than 20. Which makes everyone a little stressed and overwhelmed at times, apprehensive about 2nd jobs, and a little unimportant or mistreated.

I know i am lucky to have a good job, but when i lost my benefits last November i was frustrated and pissed. That is how i came to the conclusion to return to school. However i find school and work a hard lifestyle to balance. And i struggle to find a major, But I am going to continue what i started and hope for the best.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I agree with you. It is hard to balance between school and work. There are times when everything gets overwhelming for me as well. But I guess this is a start to recieving an accomplishment and reward.

    ReplyDelete